Innis has significant experience and expertise investigating complex estates and administrations, and has conducted numerous public examinations in difficult national and international insolvencies. These skills are essential in identifying fraud and other offences and in locating and recovering assets in a variety of difficult scenarios.
Prior to joining Pitcher Partners, Innis worked as a private practice lawyer specialising in personal insolvency, corporate insolvency, commercial law and general litigation. He has experience in retail and commercial leases and disputes, consumer credit transactions, property and mortgage disputes, general litigation, debt recovery and administrative appeals. Whether discussing clients’ financial troubles, reviewing asset planning structures or managing challenging insolvency administrations, Innis has a friendly and professional manner focussed on identifying practical and commercial solutions to difficult problems.
- Advising debtors, creditors and controlling trustees in relation to Part X of the Bankruptcy Act 1966. Appearing as counsel for PIA Trustee supporting a Federal Court application to set aside a Personal Insolvency Agreement (New Age Constructions (NSW) Pty Ltd v Etlis; In the matter of Etlis  FCA 884).
- Appearing as counsel for bankruptcy trustees opposing applications to set aside bankruptcy orders (Smith v Baycorp Collections PDL (Australia) Pty Ltd & Anor  FCCA 2373, & Syed v Green Lion Pty Ltd & Ors  FCCA 763).
- Appearing as counsel for debtor to successfully oppose the making of a sequestration order
- Acting for bankruptcy trustees to successfully oppose an application by examinees restraining trustees’ public examinations on the grounds of conflict of interest (BC39 Pty Ltd v Rambaldi, in the matter of Wharington (Bankrupt)  FCA 1076).
- Appearing as counsel for bankruptcy trustee in disputed Court action to recover outstanding income contribution assessments (Pattison v Schiffer  FMCA 319).
Areas of Expertise
- Bankruptcies including pre-appointment advice
- Part X controlling trusteeships & Personal Insolvency Agreements (PIAs)
- Corporate insolvencies
- Asset tracing and investigation
- Creditor support and advice
- Litigation support
- Debt recovery
Memberships & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Laws (Bond University)
- Masters of Laws (University of Melbourne)
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Member of Law Institute of Victoria
6th July 2018
Lawyers and accountants are regularly asked to advise clients about the steps
they should take to shield their assets from the risks of financial ...
19th April 2018
.. The Proposed Reform
The federal government is proposing reforms to personal bankruptcy law. If
passed, allbankrupts will be automatically d...
Services & Specialisations