Case study – IT – Vendor Selection
Its rail operations primarily focus on the haulage of coal and the provision of hook and pull services for NSW rail operators during infrastructure maintenance works.
In Bendigo, in addition to the above activities, it also provides a 24 hour emergency call out service for locomotive and wagons.
SSR used a variety of disparate, labour intensive and time consuming software applications for their day-to-day operations, including general accounting activities, inventory management, payroll and the management of their policies and procedures.
SSR approached Pitcher Partners to undertake a tender process to select a new scalable integrated ERP solution which would manage their end-to-end operations more efficiently, by:
- Streamlining critical business processes
- Allowing for data collection to be accurate and consistent
- Provide clear visibility and tracking of ongoing manufacturing jobs
Pitcher Partners drew on its extensive experience in the design, selection, development and implementation of business and information systems and performed the following activities in facilitating a process to identify and select a preferred vendor:
- Conducted workshops to identify and define the high level requirements for an integrated ERP system
- Developed and issued a Request for Proposal to vendors who deliver solutions that meet the specified requirements
- Evaluated, through collaboration with the client, the responses by the vendors using developed and proven tools and methodologies
- Negotiated contractual agreements on behalf of the client
- Agreed on an implementation work plan to a fixed price
- Providing Project Management services during the ERP implementation
As a result of using this proven methodology, the client successfully selected a vendor that was able to provide a system that delivered the following benefits:
- A fully integrated system with a single point of entry and single source of truth
- The provision for clear visibility and tracking of jobs across all areas of the business
- The provision of a scalable, expandable platform that supports future developments
- Enriched reporting and the provision for easier and improved analysis on information
- Reduction of form development and despatch